Number of LGBT-related laws changed over time
This year, there were 39 recorded legal changes made affecting LGBT people. In the previous year, there were 46 changes made. A total of 314 legal changes have been made so far in the 2010s.
- November 23Right to change legal gender becomes legal, but requires surgery.The Vietnamese Government voted overwhelmingly in favour of legalizing the right to change an individual's legal gender
- November 12LGBT employment discrimination becomes sexual orientation and gender identity.The Ukraine parliament voted to change the country's labor code to include protection against employment discrimination regardless of "race, colour, political, religious and other beliefs, sex gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnic, social and foreign origin, age, health, disability, or suspected presence of HIV/AIDS, family and property status, family responsibilities, place of residence, or participation in a strike."
- November 4Same-sex adoption becomes legal.Previously couples could only adopt a child if it was from one of the partners, but the same-sex adoption law allows homosexual couples the same rights as heterosexual couples.
- August 20
- July 16LGBT employment discrimination becomes sexual orientation and gender identity.The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has ruled that “[A]llegations of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation necessarily state a claim of discrimination on the basis of sex”, and are barred by the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This ruling applies at both the state and federal level. Furthermore, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) ruled on April 20, 2012 that an employer who discriminates against an employee or applicant on the basis of the person’s gender identity is violating the prohibition on sex discrimination contained in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- July 15Right to change legal gender becomes legal, surgery not required.For adults over 18, individuals can change their legal gender without a surgery. However, for individuals between the age of 16-18, there is a "route to recognition"
- June 30Homosexual activity becomes legal.Although not explicitly mentioned in the penal code, the justice minister clarified that homosexuality is not an offence in Mozembique. New penal code explicitly removed "crimes against nature", leaving no ground whatsoever for homosexuality to be illegal. It is expected to go into effect June 29th, 2015.
- June 26
- Same-sex marriage becomes legal.In a ruling by the US Supreme Court, all 50 states must now issue marriage licenses for same sex couples and recognize same-sex marriages performed in any state.
- Same-sex marriage becomes legal.Puerto Rico legalizes gay marriage after US Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage. Shortly after the ruling, Alejandro Garcia Padilla, the governor of Puerto Rico, signed an executive order requiring government agencies to be compliant with the ruling.
- June 4Conversion therapy becomes banned.On June 4, Ontario unanimously passed a Bill 77 "Affirming Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Act" banning "any practice that seeks to change or direct the sexual orientation or gender identity of a patient under 18 years of age, including efforts to change or direct the patient's behavior or gender expression."
- May 23
- May 17LGBT discrimination becomes illegal in some contexts.In addition to the existing HIV/AIDS law, public workers are now also protected. Within federal agencies, same sex partnerships are also required to be recognized as a family when requesting time off for spousal medical emergencies.
- May 15Same-sex marriage becomes legal.After suggestions from the British government and approval by local council, same sex marriage is now legal.
- April 13
- April 4Same-sex adoption becomes legal.As Same Sex Marriage is now fully legal, same sex couples can adopt children. One month before it became legal, same sex couples can also adopt children.
- March 12
- March 10LGBT discrimination becomes illegal.In Bill 10, a bill ensuring the right of students to form gay-straight alliances in Alberta schools, amendments were added before it was passed adding protection of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression to the Alberta Bill of Rights. Bill 10 goes into effect on June 1, 2015. The Alberta Human Rights Act has not yet been explicitly modified to include gender identity and gender expression, though they continue to be read in implicitly by the Alberta Human Rights Commission.
- March 4Same-sex marriage becomes legal.Same sex marriage was legalized by the parliament
- February 12
- January 21Right to change legal gender becomes legal, surgery not required.Israelis can now change their legal gender without sex-reassignment surgery as ordered by the Supreme Court
- January 20Same-sex marriage becomes not legal.Macedonia passed a constitutional amendment explicitly stating marriage as a union between a man and a woman
- January 14Same-sex adoption becomes legal.Same sex couples can have the same right to adopt as different-sex couples
LGBT Organizations Founded in 2015
- ShamsThe fight against homophobia and launch a social debate on homosexuality.